Happy Thanksgiving 2023
Safe Travels and Enjoy your Holiday
AAA projects 55.4 million travelers will head 50 miles or more from home over the Thanksgiving holiday travel period*. This year’s Thanksgiving forecast is an increase of 2.3% over last year and marks the third-highest Thanksgiving forecast since AAA began tracking holiday travel in 2000. The top two years were 2005 and 2019, respectively.
“For many Americans, Thanksgiving and travel go hand in hand, and this holiday, we expect more people on the roads, skies, and seas compared to 2022,” said Paula Twidale, Senior Vice President of AAA Travel. “Travel demand has been strong all year, and AAA’s Thanksgiving forecast reflects that continued desire to get away and spend time with loved ones.”
What You Can Do
The NSC says there are several things people should consider before they set out on the road this Thanksgiving holiday, which include:
- Preparing before you drive, by checking the oil, putting air in tires, and repairing open recalls.
- Drive distraction-free by putting away your cell phone.
- Do not exceed the speed limit and pay attention to people walking and biking.
- Designate a sober driver or arrange alternative transportation.
- Avoid fatigue driving and ensure you’re well-rested before you get behind the wheel.
- Always wear a seat belt while driving. Between 1975 and 2017 an estimated 375,276 lives have been saved by using seat belts.
- Protect vulnerable passengers and check the manufacturer’s instructions before installing a child’s safety seat.
- Look before you lock and make it a priority to see if any children remain inside the car.
- Understand your vehicle’s safety systems.
- Take an alternative path and consider leaving the car at home if you are traveling a short distance.
- Watch for all road users and respect everyone around by giving them space to be safe.
- Bike Bus Lane (2)
- Community Events (2)
- Corporate (42)
- Crash Video (3)
- Exhibition (22)
- In the News (3)
- Job (1)
- Legislation (2)
- National Observations (36)
- New Contract (16)
- Railroad (4)
- Red Light (6)
- Safety Updates (32)
- School Zone Speed (11)
- Solutions (14)
- Speed Enforcement (20)
- Stop On Red Week (25)
- Stop Sign (2)
- Traffic Safety (24)
- Uncategorized (3)
- Vision Zero (4)